1. Fill a bowl with an inch of warm water mixed with makeup brush cleaner. I used a discontinued e.l.f. brush cleaner but NYX Cosmetics makes a good one. Can you use dishsoap? Would you wash your face with it? No. Can you use face soap? No. It's full of products meant to clean your face not your brushes. Buy the brush cleaner it will extend the life of your brushes. However if you're just not going to buy this use liquid hand soap.
2. Swirl your brush around in the soapy water until you stop seeing pigment coming off the brush.
3. Rinse the brush off under running water. When the water is running clear you know it's clean.
4. Wipe the brush on a clean dry towl. If any color comes off repeat the cleaning process.
5. Lay your brushes to dry on another clean dry towl. Let them rest for at least 2 hours.
6. At any point if the water becomes opaque you need to dump it and replace it.
7. Don't forget to do eyebrow and eyelash brushes. They pick up bacteria too.
That's it. Easy, quick and it will save you money and your face. Do it!